In order for CSL to provide its services and products effectively, CSL receives information about many health or allied professionals or customers. CSL has sought to ensure that all health and allied professionals and customers are made aware of CSL’s information handling practices.
CSL Marketing Statement sets out information about how CSL may collect and use personal information about health and allied professionals and customers.
Why am I being given this information sheet?
As a health or allied professional or customer of CSL1, you are being provided with this sheet to tell you how CSL’s marketing and sales personnel may collect and use information about you. CSL is committed to protecting the privacy of all the individuals it deals with in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
What information does CSL collect about me?
In order for CSL to provide its services and products effectively, marketing and sales personnel of CSL receive information about many health or allied professionals or customers like yourself. This may include your name, business contact details, professional details (e.g., qualifications, specialties, areas of interest, membership of professional association) and details on your practice/business (e.g., size, use of products) as well as records of your dealings with CSL.
What will the information collected about me be used for?
The primary purpose for which CSL uses this information is to provide you with information about CSL’s products and activities which may be of interest to you, including the tailoring of marketing services to suit you, the planning of meetings, conferences and other events which may involve CSL and you, and the generation of customer lists for CSL’s market research. If you provide us with an email address, we may send you information and marketing material electronically. In addition, the information may also be used:
- in connection with the supply of products or services to you;
- to notify you of matters that CSL may be required by law to notify you of (e.g., product recalls);
- to administer and let you know about disease awareness/management or similar programs organized by CSL; and
- to monitor and review CSL’s compliance with relevant regulations and codes of conduct.
Obviously, to the extent that we do not collect information about you, CSL will not be able to carry out these services and other purposes in relation to you or your practice/business and you may not receive all of the benefits of information, programs, services or products that may be provided by CSL.
Will my information provided to anyone else?
CSL will maintain control and be responsible for the security of the personal information it holds. As a general rule, CSL will not provide it to any third parties except:
- to regulatory bodies (e.g., the TGA), where CSL is under a legal obligation to provide the information;
- to related companies of CSL, for the same kinds of purposes as listed above;
- to ensure continuity of service, to another company if the supply of a product or service has been transferred to that company;
- to contractors engaged to provide services in connection with the purposes mentioned above (such as mail out companies, agencies engaged to organize conferences and database managers who maintain and update contact information and who may contact you independently to check that information or your contact preferences); and
- if it is otherwise permitted or required by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), or any other law or court of law.
CSL and third parties to whom we may provide your personal information are located in countries including, but not limited to, Australia, Germany, New Zealand, Switzerland and the United States of America.
How does CSL collect this information about me?
In most cases, CSL collects information directly from you. Where it is not practicable to collect information directly from you, CSL may collect this information from members of your practice or business, publicly available sources, and third parties (such as industry bodies, professional associations, direct mail companies). Information will only be collected from third parties who satisfy CSL that in collecting the personal information they have complied with the Privacy Act and all other relevant laws.
What laws require CSL to collect personal information about me?
CSL may be required under state and territory poisons legislation to collect personal information about you when it supplies prescription drugs to you. CSL may also be required under federal legislation (including the Therapeutic Goods Act 1989 (Cth) to collect personal information about you to record the distribution of, or expedite any recall of, certain products.
How can I access information collected about me by CSL?
To the extent you are entitled to under the Privacy Act and all other applicable laws, you can access the information about you which is held by CSL by contacting it (see below).
COMMENTS? COMPLAINTS? WANT TO KNOW MORE?
You can get in touch with any Australian member of the CSL Group1 about privacy issues if you
- want to let us know NOT to collect any particular information about you or NOT to use it for any particular purpose;
- ask for access to any personal information about you held by CSL, to the extent authorized by the Privacy Act and all other applicable laws (we may need to ask you to complete a request form); or
- have a complaint, or want to know more about our personal information handling processes or give us suggestions about them.
You can do this by contacting CSL’s Privacy Officer on email: email@example.com, phone: (03) 9389 1911, fax: (03) 9389 1434 or write to CSL Limited, 45 Poplar Road, Parkville, Vic 3052.
We will review and respond to privacy queries or complaints within a reasonable period of time. However, please note that we will respond to queries made in the annual holiday season (between approximately 20 December to 10 January each year) as soon as possible after that period.
1 CSL in this document refers to CSL Limited ABN 99 051 588 348 and its related bodies corporate in Australia.